Mold exposure can cause a variety of symptoms, depending on the individual. Some people may experience respiratory problems, while others may suffer from skin irritation. In some cases, mold exposure can even lead to serious health complications. If you are concerned that you may have been exposed to mold, it is important to be aware of the symptoms, causes and prevention. In this blog post, we will discuss what is mold exposure and the most common symptoms of mold exposure and provide information on how to treat them.
What is Mold Exposure?
Mold exposure is the inhalation or contact with mold spores. Mold spores are tiny, airborne particles that can cause a variety of health problems. Mold exposure is particularly dangerous for people with allergies or respiratory problems, as it can lead to serious respiratory infections. Mold exposure can also cause skin irritation, headaches, and nausea. In some cases, it can even lead to serious health complications.
Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Having mold in your home won’t necessarily make you sick, but it does have the potential to cause certain health issues. Touching or inhaling mold spores can cause allergy-like symptoms such as:
Runny Nose and Congestion
One of the most common symptoms of mold exposure is a runny nose and congestion. If you are experiencing these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Left untreated, respiratory infections caused by mold exposure can lead to more serious health complications.
Can mold irritate your eyes? Exposure to mold can cause respiratory symptoms and symptoms of an allergic reaction, which include things like itchy eyes, redness of the eyes, and watery eyes. However, more serious issues can occur, including a number of eye infections. Keratitis is an eye infection commonly caused by mold.
Sneezing is a common symptom of allergies, and mold exposure is a common allergy trigger. If you are sneezing more than usual, it could be a sign that you have been exposed to mold.
A cough is a common symptom of mold exposure, along with sneezing, a runny or a stuffy nose, a sore throat, shortness of breath, wheezing and headaches. Not everyone exposed to mold develops a cough, but many people that are considered to be mold-sensitive do, especially with prolonged exposure.
Sore throat is another common symptom of mold exposure. If you have a sore throat that does not go away, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Left untreated, respiratory infections caused by mold exposure can lead to more serious health complications.
Skin rash can cause redness, itchiness, and inflammation. In some cases, skin rash can even lead to more serious health complications. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible.
Headache is a common symptom of mold exposure. If you are experiencing a headache that does not go away, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Left untreated, respiratory infections caused by mold exposure can lead to more serious health complications.
Lung irritation is a common symptom of mold exposure. If you are experiencing chest pain, shortness of breath, or a persistent cough, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Left untreated, respiratory infections caused by mold exposure can lead to more serious health complications.
Wheezing is a common symptom of mold exposure. If you are experiencing wheezing, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Left untreated, respiratory infections caused by mold exposure can lead to more serious health complications.
Causes of Mold Exposure
Mold allergy symptoms are generated by an extremely sensitive immune system reaction, much like any other allergy. When you breath small mold spores in the air, your body detects them as foreign invaders and produces allergy-inducing antibodies to combat them.
Mold spore exposure might result in an immediate reaction or a delayed reaction.
Molds can be found both indoors and out. Allergies are caused by only a few types of mold. You don’t have to be allergic to one type of mold to be allergic to another. Alternaria, aspergillus, Cladosporium, and penicillium are some of the most prevalent molds that cause allergies.
If you think you’ve been exposed to mold, see a doctor right once. It can be difficult to identify if your symptoms are caused by mold, another ailment, or an allergy. Your doctor may recommend skin or blood tests to see if you have a true mold allergy.
Mold allergy treatments and prevention measures may include:
- nasal corticosteroid sprays and antihistamines are examples of drugs.
- Allergy shots, which may be especially useful if you have severe symptoms all year.
- managing humidity at home, including:
- maintaining the humidity below 50 percent with a dehumidifier
- regularly cleaning damp areas, such as basements and bathrooms
- keeping humid areas well ventilated
- quickly repairing any leaks
To reduce mold growth in your home, consider these tips:
- Eliminate sources of dampness in basements, such as pipe leaks or groundwater seepage.
- Use a dehumidifier in any area of your home that smells musty or damp. Keep your humidity levels below 50%. Remember to clean the collection bucket and condensation coils regularly.
- Use an air conditioner and consider installing central air conditioning with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter attachment. The HEPA filter can trap mold spores from outdoor air before they’re circulated inside your home.
- Change filters on your furnace and air conditioners regularly. Have forced air heating ducts inspected and, if necessary, cleaned.
- Be sure all bathrooms are properly ventilated, and run the ventilation fan during a shower or bath and immediately after to dry the air. If you don’t have a ventilation fan, open a window or door while you’re showering or bathing.
- Don’t carpet bathrooms and basements. Carpet can hold moisture, providing a perfect environment for mold to grow. If you must have carpeting in these areas, use only low-pile carpet and be sure to vacuum it regularly with a HEPA vacuum cleaner.
- Promote groundwater drainage away from your house by removing leaves and vegetation from around the foundation and cleaning out rain gutters frequently. Make sure the ground slopes away from the foundation.
- Keep organic plant containers clean and dry, such as those made of straw, wicker or hemp.
- Toss or recycle old books and newspapers. If left in damp places, such as basements, they can quickly become moldy.