Mold Mites

Mold Mites

Mold Mites

What are mold mites, and what do they eat? Mold mites are tiny arthropods (arthropod family members include lobsters, crabs, spiders, and many other insects that have an exoskeleton)that feed on mold as their only food source. These microscopic mites will also consume yeast in addition to mold. Mites, like other insects, can be attracted to pantries since they consume yeast. Mold mites are tiny and may enter your pantry and attack items high in fat and protein. Mold mites are nearly, but not quite, invisible to the human eye; they are roughly the size of mold mites.
Mold mites do not bite people the way bed bugs or other insects might. So, aside from having a host of little “bugs” in your house, you may believe mold mites are simply an annoyance rather than a danger to your health – this is not correct. Many people are allergic to these tiny insects, which have a similar immunological response as spores. Sneezing, coughing, or a scratchy throat and watery eyes are typical symptoms. Because long hairs are used for sensory perception, the bodies of mold mites are hidden. These hairs will fall out and may be inhaled. When you breathe them in, allergic responses can develop, as well as your health begins to suffer as a result.

You will not have mites if you never have a mold problem. However, if you look closely at the mold, you may see a little white or tan area that appears to shift slightly. This is mold mite movement. If you notice any of these tiny creatures, a powerful magnifying glass, and a flashlight may help you identify them. They are really tough to spot with the naked eye! Sometimes, you might see the mites with a bunch of dark brown colored “speck” just right underneath the area. This dust is a collection of living and dead mold mites. You can vacuum up the “dust,” but it keeps returning. In addition, these may appear as tiny speckling on a wall, especially if there is mold in the area. Both of these indications might indicate mold mite infestation. The first step in getting rid of mold mites is to realize that you have them. If you are not sure what you are dealing with, how can you go any further? The next stage is to eliminate the mites’ food source once determined that they are a mold mite issue. Mold mites have been found in the homes of more than half of the consumers we tested. This source might be contaminated food products, but most of the time, it is mold they are eating on. Therefore, to get rid of the mold mites, you must first eliminate any mold from your house.

Personal protection is the first step in mold removal. Before attempting to remove any mold, you must put on protective clothing. Gloves, a disposable coverall with a hood, and foot covers would all come in handy.
The mold must be removed from the afflicted area of your house before it spreads to other sections. This may be accomplished by closing doors or, even better, by setting up a confinement chamber. Containment chambers should be constructed around the mold-affected areas to keep the mold from spreading. Because mold spores, when disturbed, can easily become airborne and be spread to other unaffected locations or inhaled by employees, you should utilize HEPA air scrubbing machines while removing mold. Place one air scrubber inside the confined space and another outside of it, near to where employees enter and exit the chamber.
When attempting to get rid of mold, do not use detergent bleach. Bleach is made up of 95% water and 5% chlorine. Because the chlorine will not get through, the only effect will be that the mold has grown deeper in the porous items.

Mold can be removed from porous materials in several ways, but the most effective method is to bag and remove them from the house. The bagging should take place while the things are still in the confinement chamber. Any stuff or objects that have remained within the confines must be cleaned with a disinfectant and dried before being removed.
After a few days, the mold mites’ food source will be exhausted if the mold is gone. Therefore, they will either be swept out with the mold when eradicated or die off shortly afterward due to lack of nourishment. To keep mold mites at bay, make sure there is no extra moisture around so that mold does not return.

 

Home

Next Blog

Scroll to top